Melbourne Football

The Football League (Championship, League One, League Two)

scouse_roar

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Bolton Wanderers stayed up by the absolute skin of their teeth last night. 1-0 up, 2-1 down with 3 minutes remaining then David Wheather and old man Wilbraham scored within a minute, jump the Trotters up two places and survive to scrap another year out in The Championship, can't remember ever being more stressed in my life.

Edited by Tommykins

• 11 months later...

Thoughts on the Leeds - Aston Villa game?

i guess after playing middle eastern teams we’ve adopted a culture of “there is no rule that requires the ball to be kicked out” so no professional football should stop playing because he wants the opposition to stop.

Clearly not the culture in England it seems. 

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

Thoughts on the Leeds - Aston Villa game?

i guess after playing middle eastern teams we’ve adopted a culture of “there is no rule that requires the ball to be kicked out” so no professional football should stop playing because he wants the opposition to stop.

Clearly not the culture in England it seems. 

Imo no way they should have been required to stop. "Stopping" is entirely on the attacking team imo and their assessment of how serious the injury is.

The villa bloke clearly had a middle eastern injury so fuck em. Play the whistle you cunts.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

Meanwhile Bolton will actually play this weekend as the EFL has stepped in and paid our wages from March. The only real good thing to come out of this is that our indoor team will be wearing Bolton shirts next year and I paid peanuts for them.

Highly recommend reading about this shitshow if you want to know what bad ownership actually looks like:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/apr/26/bolton-players-to-strike-over-unpaid-wages

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/apr/30/bolton-v-brentford-still-no-date-for-rearranged-match-after-player-protest

We're literally relying on Laurence fucking Bassini saving us, which is just beyond the pale.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurence_Bassini

Everything is fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, mus-28 said:

A brutal reality check for all the other clubs who are spending beyond their means to climb up the rungs. This will continue to happen while clubs continue to bleed cash until the owner eventually pull the financial lifeline.

It's a sobering outcome, and makes me review my thoughts on the salary cap and league structure here in Australia. I grew up in England before the EPL and the current football pyramid, and overall I think what applied then is far more sustainable than what is happening today. IMO the wages of people such as Kevin de Bruyne are absolutely absurd.

• 11 months later...

The fact that Brentford lost to Barnsley who needed a win to survive on the final day, would make me think that they choked as they were the superior team on paper. If they had disposed of Barnsley as they were favourites too (with a home ground advantage as well from memory) they would have pipped West Brom for 2nd spot and never would have gone through the burden of play offs. That's hard to take in for them.