Melbourne Football

Wed 1 Aug - 7.30pm vs. Port Melbourne @JLMurphy Reserve

jw1739

I think playing 3 up front in the way that Heart are trying to is not going to work due to the players we have. The philosophy is to rely heavily on 1 on 1 play from the wingers but we don't have players like that. Duga, Williams, Andrijasevic, Walker etc are all weak in terms of taking on players..

The 2 wingers need to be much more fluid and there needs to be constant movement and combinations with the midfielders because standing out wide and receiving the ball and then struggling to beat the fullback 1 on 1 is not going to work for this group..

I think JVS worked that out when he changed to 4-3-1-2 at the end of the last season..

Edited by kontra.11
  • Like 1

Agree with the last few posts in this thread. You can't really take much out of 8-0 win against kids but from our contracted players I thought:

-Gerhardt worries me a bit. I think he may be a bit too aggressive. A few dodgy tackles in the first half, if there was a strict ref last night he could have been sent off tbh. Didn't think he passed particularly bad though and he seemed to organise the defence alright. I was impressed with Gray though so I would prefer if Gerhardt was moved back into midfield.

-Williams really should have easily scored more last night. I wouldn't say he played bad though and when your winning by so much I suppose you can forgive the players for taking the foot off a bit. He certainly didn't impress me though.

-Hoffman is horrible.

• Like 1

i can see where the hype is around our number 10 from last nights performance.

I also saw a bit of arrogance from him. will be interesting how he fairs playing with Fred, Mate and Germano...

He isn't bigger than the club... so he may need to be put back in his place sometime throughout the year...

Cant wait for ADL in Epping... might be some proper opposition.

• Like 1

Encouraging performance albeit against weak opponents. Pretty much impossible to gauge the guys at the back when they had so little competition. My thoughts:

-Williams looked interested. Stuffed a few good chances but certainly looked better than last year.

-Big Mac looks the goods not so much in the fact he scored 4 but the way he is offering to hold up the ball he is giving us great shape.

-The boys at the back were vocal always a good sign.

-Hoffman is shit. I feel for the guy but he just isn't good enough. I'd love him to prove me wrong but the more I see the less chance there is of this happening.

-I thought a lot of the trial boys looked decent and I'd be happy to sign a few of these boys up.

For mine our season hinges on a few things:

-Aloisi's tactically ability

-Can Tadic score goals and

-Development of some of our squad players

If Mcallister plays well against Adelaide and scores he will fight for a starting position

I think it will be a more horses for courses approach whereby if we feel we can exploit a defence with Macallisters size then he will get a run ahead of others. Hasn't put a foot wrong at the club so far it would seem.

• Like 1

Good to see so Big Supermac show his doubters what I saw in the old warhorse.

Hoff should go join Sarkies and Kamal as Bergers.

Jeremy Walker (#28) playing LB in the second half def deserves a mention, his flasher brother Zac (j/k) makes the headlines but Jeremy continues to develop into a fine player and possible replacement for Goodwin.

Left back (no. 28) was trialist Sam Mitchinson not Jeremy Walker.