Melbourne Football

Vincenzo Grella

LR9

Not over yet. Heard from within club today that Heart are still very keen and Grella is still seriously considering the move. The process of trying to convince him to come is ongoing but Grella wants to be sure he can fulfill his commitment given his injury history. "Hopefully word by the end of the week". I suppose time will tell.

So...? Any news on Vince?

The feeling on here, particularly after the Knights post-match interview, is that we are going hard after Grella.

Here's my problem. What happens if he doesn't sign? It seems like we are putting a lot of time and effort into getting him on board. But if nothing comes of it, what are our options? Do we get Govas back on the phone? Are we actually planning for a non-Grella situation?

The feeling on here, particularly after the Knights post-match interview, is that we are going hard after Grella.

Here's my problem. What happens if he doesn't sign? It seems like we are putting a lot of time and effort into getting him on board. But if nothing comes of it, what are our options? Do we get Govas back on the phone? Are we actually planning for a non-Grella situation?

What's this 'feeling' based on?

AFAIK we have to sign two more players to bring our list up to the minimum of 20. They have to fall into the 'youth' definition to comply with the requirement to have three 'youth' players in the seniors squad.

JD has recently tweeted that there will be 'at least two more' signings.

So, two 'youth' players, who must both qualify as Australian, plus Grella as the icing on the cake? If Grella doesn't sign I can't see us going back to Govas. If we in any way thought we might want him we wouldn't have publicly said that he would not be offered a contract.

The rumour mill has gone deathly quiet...

What's this 'feeling' based on?

AFAIK we have to sign two more players to bring our list up to the minimum of 20. They have to fall into the 'youth' definition to comply with the requirement to have three 'youth' players in the seniors squad.

1) If you read my post, you would see it refers to the post-match interview, by Aloisi, and then the subsequent comments on that page, of which you were a commenter.

2)"AFAIK" or "as far as you know" - you either do know, or you don't know.

2)"AFAIK" or "as far as you know" - you either do know, or you don't know.

It means that the latest information I have access to is that we have to have three 'youth' players in the senior squad. I deliberately use the term 'youth' because the definition of 'youth' for 2012-13 may have changed from being Under-21 on 1 January 2012 to Under-20 on 1 January 2012. I read at one point that such a change was being considered by FFA but have not seen any decision.

Yes, JA mentioned a DM in that interview. I recall that I commented on that. He did not mention Grella.

we know he's been talking to grella, and if we can't sign grella, what other options do we have?

this DM that JA is now looking to sign has to be Australian/hold Australian citizenship.

IMO we'd need to be signing a more experienced player for that position. The only players that are available that I can think of off the top of my head are

- Grella

- Srhoj

- Culina

- Ergic

Funny that shroj is probably the best option outside of grella. Should never have released him. At least his performance is bankable and you can plan around it. If gerhardt is not a guaranteed improvement he shouldn't have been signed as taking up a visa spot. I would rate a visa spot a lot more highly than an extra 50-100k that shroj might be asking for. Would be just as comfortable with us at this point in time with shroj in the squad as gerhardt and a visa spot left for a genuine cb or AM. All the more confusing if grella signs up. Why not retain shroj and sign an experienced cb not a guy who got chucked in there once for Liberia and can now claim to be an internationally experienced cb? I hope gerhardt turns out to be a boss and all is well.

I don't agree about Shroj. The fact that he can't get an A League contract, even with WSW so far, vindicates the decision to let him go. I thought he played his best football for us only in the last month or two before his contract was up for renegotiation, and before then I don't think he justified the salary he was on. I'd be very surprised if Gerhardt couldn't give us more, and is more versatile.

• Like 2

I don't agree about Shroj. The fact that he can't get an A League contract, even with WSW so far, vindicates the decision to let him go. I thought he played his best football for us only in the last month or two before his contract was up for renegotiation, and before then I don't think he justified the salary he was on. I'd be very surprised if Gerhardt couldn't give us more, and is more versatile.

Perhaps not on the the salary he was on but do you really believe Shroj wasn't effective in his role? I think he was a defensive asset although a bit loose sometimes which he made up for in his ferocity to compete and win.

Im sad Shroj is gone personally.

• Like 5

Perhaps not on the the salary he was on but do you really believe Shroj wasn't effective in his role? I think he was a defensive asset although a bit loose sometimes which he made up for in his ferocity to compete and win.

Im sad Shroj is gone personally.

Shroj seems to divide opinion doesn't he? I think he finished 3rd in the player of the year voting in season 1, so the coaches thought he did a job. But I never really got it. From what we've seen so far, I think Gerhardt is better with high balls, I think his passing will be more dangerous, and I think his tackling will be better, without nearly as many yellow cards. And then a fit Grella would probably be on another level again.

Agree with everything but this.

Ha. Maybe. But that website with all his career stats and whatever had the yellows and reds he's earnt throughout his career. For memory, I don't think it was that many.

We'll have to wait and see, but I suspect the reputation Gerhardt has around here as a tough tackling hard man might be a bit of an exaggeration. I don't see him that way as yet. I could be wrong though. It's early days.

Edit: Actually, it looks like he has earnt a few yellows. (12 in 32 appearances last season.) But I still reckon he'll be more 'cultured' and technical than Shroj! (Shroj had 19 in 43 games!)

Edited by Sash

Srhoj did the simple things right but He let himself down with his "Xavi" style long balls to into the forwards. Colossimo was guilty of this too but his passes actually resulted in the odd goal. If Wayne just broke legs and made 2 metre passes all game he'd be much better player. He Was probably getting paid too much so good riddance.

• 1 month later...

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/grella-joins-heart-20121016-27nq2.html

Melbourne Heart this morning confirmed that celebrated Socceroo veteran Vince Grella will join the club on a one-year contract.

Grella is due to arrive in Melbourne on Saturday, as his new teammates fly west for a clash with Perth Glory. The 33-year-old midfielder was a mainstay of the national during team during its glory years when Australia made the 2006 and 2010 World Cup finals under Guus Hiddink and Pim Verbeek.

Grella has spent the bluk of his career in Italy where he played for Parma, Torino and Empoli. He moved to the English Premier League where he joined Blackburn Rovers, but his stay in the English top-flight was marred by injury.

Earlier this year, Grella trained with Heart whilst on holidays in Australia, but he had been living in Italy and had been expected to resume his playing career there.

Advertisement

The signing is a further boost for Heart, third with four points after two games, and for the A-League, which has been boosted this season by the tremendous response to marquee signings Alessandro del Piero (Sydney) and Emile Heskey (Newcastle).

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/grella-joins-heart-20121016-27nq2.html#ixzz29PR2BcE1

Fantastic signing, I'm just hoping that they use Vinnie to release Fred from his defensive responsibilities. When he's busting a lung try to tackle, he's knackered by the time we win it and he needs to make a decision on that final ball/shot (we saw this on Saturday with his decision making in front of goal). Let's all start praying that Vinnie can stay fit (Oh and encourage his mate Bresch to come next year too..)

Great signing, I agree. I hope he gets fit for our next home game...midfield will be brilliant. Maybe JA should switch to a 4-2-3-1 to take advantage of the glut of midfielders we have. When Germano is back it could be:

Bolton

Marrone-Gerhardt-Colosimo-Behich

Garcia/Thompson-Grella/Thompson

Williams-Fred-Duganzic

D-Mac/Tadic

Not a marquee is it?

Grella won't be ready and playing well until the second half of the season.. What the point of 7837234 midfielders is I don't know..

Players like him piss me off.. Why couldn't he just say yes when the club initially wanted him and then he could have had a preseason..

What has changed now? No other takers...

Edited by kontra.11

Not a marquee is it?

I like the idea of a marquee who can fit into the squad, add speed, experience, leadership, vision, skill etc. yet not become the sole focus of the team. If the marquee doesn't tick all the boxes then solid professionals can offer the same characteristics and get the results without the bling. I like the fact that at Heart no player is bigger than the club/team.

Players like him piss me off.. Why couldn't he just say yes when the club initially wanted him and then he could have had a preseason..

What has changed now? No other takers...

From what I understand Grella's wife is Italian and yes, they may have preferred to stay in Italy. I think Grella was trying to look after the best interests of his family and I respect him if this is the case.

Still, often you have to go where the work is and it is good that he has chosen to return to Melburne and the Heart rather than chase the oil money.

I welcome Vince (and his family) to our club. Hopefully this move works out well for everyone involved.