LR9

agree.

wouldn't be surprised to see this

-----------------Bolton---------------

Marrone--Colosimo--Gray--Behich

----------Grella-----Gerhardt--------

-----------------Fred------------------

Dugandzic-----Tadic------------????

Very solid, we should rarely concede goals with that defensive half, and just punish teams on the counter with our fast wingbacks and quick front 3 of Dugandzic, Fred and Mebrahtu/Germano/Thompson

Pretty sure I have been saying we need another starting DM so we can play this formation since we signed Gerhardt and you have been calling for an AM. What has changed now?

btw, that is pretty much the team I have wanted all off season although I wasn't expecting Hamill to go and obviously didn't know who our 3 signings would be (but they are the types of players/postions I wanted). Germano to RW and Duga on the left. If Behich goes, I suppose Thompson at LB.

Happy with Grella if he can stay fit, I can't really think of a better Aus holding midfielder we could get.

Personally I think it would be great to have Vince on board, not only would his experience be great for the team, but as mentioned earlier, he is mates with Aloisi, and his skill is respected widely, which could help convey messages on the field. Combining with gerhardt, yes, we haven't seen them play, but you don't get an international call up for no reason! And to have two internationals in the midfield is something not a lot of other teams have.

And since we have signed Vrankovic an exciting talent, we can let out a sigh of relief for our defense. And if need be, Thomson who yes is much better in midfield could slot into left or centre back like last season, and cover for players may they get injured.

With a few more good signings, the team is defenitely begining to shape up!!

@footballism

I was all for signing another DM, but i still think we need another AM because as i've said many times, Fred can't do it all by himself and when he was injured last season we were stuffed. Technically we were still fine with having Germano and Gerhardt as our DM's, Grella is basically just an upgrade and will add a bit more class to the midfield. The way things are looking, with Vrankovic and Grella (providing he does actually sign), defensively we won't have any problems this coming season, and we'll have plenty of cover.

The only thing that may be of concern is who will be scoring our goals. Seeing as we won't really have any goal scoring midfielders who can score 8+ goals a season, we'll be relying a lot on Tadic and Dugandzic, and hoping that players like Williams, Mebrahtu, Macallister, and even Kalmar lift their games and bag a few each.

What do you classify Thompson, Germano, Golgol, Kalmar and Hoff?

I think we might be a little stronger up front and in attacking midfielders than we (and I include myself) think we are. If JA gets the most out of the forwards we have on our books we should be a handful for most defences. For example, could Mate play the no.10 role? What about Williams? Kalmar? We might not be sticking with the 4-3-3 of last season and we have options. What we are lacking is name players that everyone has confidence in.

The players we have can really shine if it all comes together, which I believe is what JA and JD have been planning. Just upset that we are not in the loop as it has been frustrating looking at what has appeared at times like a rudderless ship. I guess that is why those that run the club, run the club, and we do not.

Vince Grella would give us another option in central midfield and signing him would release Germano to fill in a number of positions including left midfield/forward where as I recall, he finished last season.

Aloisi hopeful about Grella

July 24, 2012

Michael Lynch

FORGOTTEN Socceroo Vince Grella trained with Melbourne Heart earlier this month and new boss John Aloisi has not given up hope that the cultured midfielder might yet finish his career at home in the A-League.

Grella has endured an injury-plagued four years in England, where he managed only 38 games for Blackburn Rovers before the club released him at the expiry of his contract earlier this year.

Grella has returned to Italy with his wife and children and the 32-year-old is hoping to continue his career.

But Heart officials are hopeful that if the former Serie A and English Premiership defensive midfielder does not get an attractive enough offer from Europe or, perhaps more likely the Middle East, he might be tempted to play out his final seasons in red and white. No deal has been proposed but if Grella does decide to return to Australia, the club is hopeful it will have the inside running in his home city.

Grella had appeared to be lukewarm about the idea of returning to the A-League, believing Australian fans were not fair in the way they judged returning internationals. He had cited in particular the criticism meted out to his friend and teammate Aloisi during his first season in Sydney when the now Heart coach struggled with injury and form.

Heart will finalise its coaching set-up later this week and the club based in the city's north is set to announce that Socceroos technical director Ron Smith will join them as a part-time video analyst and opposition scout. He will remain based in Canberra.

Aloisi has moved to bolster his attacking options and bring some experience to his squad with the signing of striker Dylan Macallister, who had been training with new franchise West Sydney. The 30-year-old has been around the traps in the A-League having played for Central Coast, Wellington and Gold Coast United.

''Dylan is certainly a player who will add depth and support to our squad. He's a different type of player to the attacking options we currently have up front in that he is a strong physical presence, who is also capable of taking up dangerous positions in the penalty box. We played together at the Mariners and I'm looking forward to working with him. I know he is a great character and will certainly allow the younger guys to walk taller.''

Heart is also poised to add another youngster to its roster in the shape of teenage Sydney born Young Socceroo centre-back David Vrankovic, who will fill the void left by Brendan Hamill, who has joined Korean club Seongnam.

http://www.watoday.c...l#ixzz21SHHT6Hi

Scott Munn was on SEN radio this morning and the obvious question about Grella was asked. Scott said that Grella did train with the team recently and is now on holiday's with his family overseas assessing his future on whether to come back to Australia as he had a pretty tough time with injuries in the EPL last season. Most of the current or ex Socceroos didn't want to come back and not be able to perform to the level they are known for.

Interesting Scott did say that Bresciano was also trained with the team last month.....

He did also say they would be speaking to the management of Tim Cahill since he is possibly leaving Everton for the MLS.

Don't remind me!

don't worry mate, remember the MLS season finishes just in time for the start of our season. Cahill is probably out of any a-league clubs price range, but since we've spoken to his management, i'm sure JD is looking at the possibilities of having him in heart colours whether it be a season loan or a 10 game guest stint. It could be a move to keep himself match fit if there's world cup qualifiers over that period, or to be closer to his family etc etc...

Spoke with MH staff today. Apparently JA spoke again to Grella last night and is doing his utmost to persuade him to join. There is high hope he will join. The plan as noted in other threads is to play Gerhardt at CB with Grella as DM. Feeling within coaching staff that Gerhardt would be more valuable in that role with our current squad and if Grella joins the jigsaw will be complete. I suppose if he doesn't join we would then be looking for either CB or DM but as I was told today, experienced local CBs don't exactly grow on trees.

• Like 1

Spoke with MH staff today. Apparently JA spoke again to Grella last night and is doing his utmost to persuade him to join. There is high hope he will join. The plan as noted in other threads is to play Gerhardt at CB with Grella as DM. Feeling within coaching staff that Gerhardt would be more valuable in that role with our current squad and if Grella joins the jigsaw will be complete. I suppose if he doesn't join we would then be looking for either CB or DM but as I was told today, experienced local CBs don't exactly grow on trees.

Well, I'm not questioning what you say...but did we really spend all that time and effort to get that sought-after defensive midfielder - the player we had to sort out before filling the other spots - only to play him as a centre-back?

Well, I'm not questioning what you say...but did we really spend all that time and effort to get that sought-after defensive midfielder - the player we had to sort out before filling the other spots - only to play him as a centre-back?

Then again Germano was recruited as a Defender, and he kind of showed pretty quickly that he had the knack of being good at a lot more things than just defending.

If we get Grella, that's exactly what I see happening jw. Grella would be the best credentialled DM in the league, with the only question being how his body holds up, in which case we have our back up in Gerhardt.

There's a guy who posts on 442 who, although he's just a guy who posts on 442, studies the Socceroos closely and I rate his opinion. This is what he has to say about Grella:

"Since 2006 and on the SA 2010 qualification campaign, I thought Grella was our best player. Stats backed this up. It was his combination of ball winning, ball distribution, excellent game sense, organisational and leadership skills.

Vince's weakness were sometimes tracking opposition players, conceding free kicks in dangerous areas around goal, shooting and heading.

Other than these flaws he had the complete package. A great tackler, a superb creator of passing lanes in neat triangles, could pass over range even with both feet, a great short passer with both feet, an astute interceptor from good reading of play, a very quick thinking football brain who had leadership and organisational skills that could improve the performance of inexperienced players around him.

An opponent who would have been hated by opponents, but loved by Australians, Grella could gee up the home crowds. In one game against Japan, in Japan, he won 12 tackles in one game- the highest tally in the last four years.

The only player to have made the top 50 players in the 2006 or 2010 World Cups.

I just hope the is not too much of a shadow of what he was and disappoints in the HAL."

With Gerhardt being able to play as a CD, we'll have form Colosimo, Gerhardt, Gray, and Vrankovic to choose from there. With the quality and depth we'll have in these positions if this happens, we're looking like we'll be a pretty hard team to score against, which I think is probably the basic thing to get right if we want better results.

• Like 2

Vince's weakness were sometimes tracking opposition players, conceding free kicks in dangerous areas around goal, shooting and heading.

Interesting that Grella's weaknesses seem to be more Gerhardt's strengths as a DM (with the exception of conceding free kicks in dangerous areas as we haven't found that out yet)

Seeing as both Gerhardt and Grella seem to have different strengths, wouldn't it be better to play them both at DM so that way we would have a more 'complete' midfield? It would give Fred the best support possible, allowing him to roam around the ground as he likes, while also providing great cover in front of the defense.

Edited by heart_fan10
  • Like 1

Interesting that Grella's weaknesses seem to be more Gerhardt's strengths as a DM (with the exception of conceding free kicks in dangerous areas as we haven't found that out yet)

Seeing as both Gerhardt and Grella seem to have different strengths, wouldn't it be better to play them both at DM so that way we would have a more 'complete' midfield? It would give Fred the best support possible, allowing him to roam around the ground as he likes, while also providing great cover in front of the defense.

As long as the Wingers are prepared to track back more than they generally did in Seasons past then this could work...

As long as the Wingers are prepared to track back more than they generally did in Seasons past then this could work...

Disagree. If the reports about Gerhardt's style is correct then neither of those two will push forward and our midfield will become to static. For me Gerhardt at CB with one of Thommo or Germano sitting beside Fred will be the better attacking option. JA could always mix it up based on home and away games.

If the reports about Gerhardt's style is correct then neither of those two will push forward and our midfield will become too static.

Agree, it's looks as though we could become too defensive. We need more firepower up front. So far we've replaced Babalj with Tadic, and Worm/Terra with Golgol and Macallister.

We need a replacement for Fred for as and when he can't play (don't like the look of things there) and a proper left-winger who can score.

Hoffman, Williams and Kalmar are just not the answers we need.

Edited by jw1739

Agree, it's looks as though we could become too defensive. We need more firepower up front. So far we've replaced Babalj with Tadic, and Worm/Terra with Golgol and Macallister.

We need a replacement for Fred for as and when he can't play (don't like the look of things there) and a proper left-winger who can score.

Hoffman, Williams and Kalmar are just not the answers we need.

Considering how few clean sheets we had last year such an more defensive approach may be warranted.

• Like 1

Not over yet. Heard from within club today that Heart are still very keen and Grella is still seriously considering the move. The process of trying to convince him to come is ongoing but Grella wants to be sure he can fulfill his commitment given his injury history. "Hopefully word by the end of the week". I suppose time will tell.

• Like 4

Not over yet. Heard from within club today that Heart are still very keen and Grella is still seriously considering the move. The process of trying to convince him to come is ongoing but Grella wants to be sure he can fulfill his commitment given his injury history. "Hopefully word by the end of the week". I suppose time will tell.

Heart will know what he is really worth, a player like Grella being our Australian Marquee even for a year prior to Bresc hopefully could be great for us.

Grella, Fred, Thomson, Gerhardt is a great midfield and full of experience

Heart will know what he is really worth, a player like Grella being our Australian Marquee even for a year prior to Bresc hopefully could be great for us.

cant be a great midfield without mentioning Germano.

EDIT: well done @Heart_Fan10, got to it first.

Edited by nicotera5

cant be a great midfield without mentioning Germano.

EDIT: well done @Heart_Fan10, got to it first.

Was more thinking experience wise, thought about adding germano because he is a great player but all the others have International/lots of experience, the depth would be super impressive.

Was more thinking experience wise, thought about adding germano because he is a great player but all the others have International/lots of experience, the depth would be super impressive.

fair enough, but Germano has more experience in this league than Go-Hard? ..... who you mentioned.

fair enough, but Germano has more experience in this league than Go-Hard? ..... who you mentioned.

Yeah maybe i sold Germano short as i like him and the fact that he can play pretty much the whole length of the pitch, i was just commenting on the fact that gerhardt even though i havnt seen much of him has international experience which i thought could add to the team.

point still remains having the options of Fred, Germano, Thompson, gerhardt, people are liking Kalmar who i know little about and then adding Grella would give us a really deep midfield, all of seeming quality.

Wasnt impressed with Williams tonight. i think he is finished. He did score but it came from a defensive error. We still need an attacking midfielder. Not sure where thatsd going to come from given that we have no foreign spots left.

Disagree, the bloke lost a heap of weight, not to mention getting in good positions and his speed down the wing,