Melbourne Football

Week 15 - Melbourne v Perth Glory - 15 Jan - 4:00PM

bazzatron

Right...

I don't think we'll leak goals just because Hamill and Good are playing. They are solid defenders. We will leaks goals though if Perth can stroll through midfield like Gold Coast could when we played them. That was why our defence was woeful, not through the faults of Hamill or Good.

Edited by Murfy1

I don't think we'll leak goals just because Hamill and Good are playing. They are solid defenders. We will leaks goals though if Perth can stroll through midfield like Gold Coast could when we played them. That was why our defence was woeful, not through the faults of Hamill or Good.

Ahhh. so you're saying our midfield being poor exposed our defenders?

Yeah, fair point that I can agree with.

However I do feel our defenders were ordinary v GCU, played too narrow at stages and at times it looked so easy for Traore to waltz through our defence, sure, he's a great player but our defenders never had a hope, never gave themselves one.

We also leaked chances due to not closing down the opposition, our defenders held off, almost scared to make a commitment for fear of being skinned.

-------------------Bolton-------------------

Marrone -- Colosimo -- Hamill -- Behich

---------------- Germano ------------------

------ Sarkies ------------ Thompson ----

Mate ----------- Babalj ------------ Worm

I would be very happy with that line up..

This is a game we should really win if we want to be a serious challenger..

Took the words right out of my mouth, what is the difference now than 5 weeks ago when we were winning?

Instead of a decent performance for 90 mins, we seem to only play fluid football for about 15 minutes a match. We played well from when Terra first got subbed on until our goal, then just flat the rest of the match. The first half we had no imagination in the final 3rd.

People hate on Srhoj but we miss his control in the middle. Looking forward to Germano starting wednesday and Srhoj hopefully coming in off the bench.

Very average on and off the field today. Terrace was very flat. well done to Ando for sticking it out in that sun and Hammer at the end on the mega. only problem I have is some of the 'treatment' of those up the front... there's times when someone a bit further back touches their phone, or stops singing and clapping and rightfully gets pointed out. only thing is there are a couple that are near the front that are doing the exact same. Hard to complain though when you blokes put in all the effort for the terrace but just a bit of advice that If people see one or two of the 'main lads' slacking off, they/we will follow like sheep. all I wanna say

My diagnosis:

There were no positives to take out of that game today. We seem to play our worst garbage against Perth. Mediocrity all over the place. The only thing to take away is that we are in a rut and will probably have a rough time against Brisbane and Central Coast.

Good and Hamill were on the ball way too much. There wasn't good help from the midfield trio to get the ball up the pitch so consequently we hoofed it to the wings a lot. Sometimes though Good and Hamill had options but just went for the ambitious long passes.

Thompson has been ordinary lately. It was something of a joke went the sponser's man of the match award went to him. Missed a penalty, ordinary at collecting the ball and distributing it, back passed a lot.

Sarkies seems unfit and isn't offering enough in active play (though he was very useful in dead ball situations).

The less said about Hoffman the better. Was missing for most of the game, although the few times he appeared he had a few useful moments. Need Germano replacing him in midfield ASAP.

Worm rivalled Hoffman and Bolton for the worst performer. Worm miscontrolled multiple passes, played horrible passes and simply didn't offer the quality required for an international player.

Dugandzic was quiet by his standards. When he doesn't provide quality we seem to struggle.

The only highlight was a moment of quality by Babalj to win the penalty. Just like against Adelaide! Over 90 minutes all we showed was a moment of quality by Babalj. EVERYONE needs to lift.

I don't buy the no Fred no Heart argument, just as I didn't buy the no Broich no Brisbane argument. Sure, teams are a notch worse when missing a good player, but we were a few notches worse. The reason I reckon for our slump is we are missing MULTIPLE midfielders, Fred, Shroj, Kalmar and Germano and Sarkies are still far from match fit.

Just like Brisbane's game against Victory at Suncorp I reckon we just need to rally and have everyone lift their game. Better playing out from the back, bettern collection and distribution by the midfield and then good decision making in the final third and we should escape from this slump.

Very average on and off the field today. Terrace was very flat. well done to Ando for sticking it out in that sun and Hammer at the end on the mega. only problem I have is some of the 'treatment' of those up the front... there's times when someone a bit further back touches their phone, or stops singing and clapping and rightfully gets pointed out. only thing is there are a couple that are near the front that are doing the exact same. Hard to complain though when you blokes put in all the effort for the terrace but just a bit of advice that If people see one or two of the 'main lads' slacking off, they/we will follow like sheep. all I wanna say

Agree 100% with this post. The terrace needs to shake the "I'll sing when we're winning" mentality we've developed over the off season.

Terrace wasn't at it's worse, but the enthusiasm could do with some improvement. Well done to Ando, who stuck at it all game, and to the young fella who took charge towards the end of the game.

The wheels have completely fallen off the team, not only are we losing/scraping draws but we're playing in such a way which will see potential new fans turn away. Credit to Aziz who never dropped his head, but the rest of the team: there's really no excuse.

We're in desperate need of a quality midfielder and defender, the midfielder to provide the spark that is lost with Fred, and the defender to sure up an incredibly shaky defence. Good and Hamill, whilst both wonderful players aren't ready to play with eachother. They need a destroyer, organiser, and voice next to them. These are things Madaschi brought to the table and to a lesser but still significant extent, Colosimo.

The way we're going, we will struggle to make finals football. This is the time of season where clubs show their true colours, so is this ours?

The Central Coast game is going to be interesting, to say the least.

Not sure what to make of it today. Obviously the result is really disappointing and makes it hard to stay in touch with CCM and Brisbane. And the same problem of turning possession into clear chances and goals continues.

But we wern't outplayed like the Adelaide game and on another day I think we could've taken the three points. We mostly dominated the first half. And the goals we conceded should've both been dealt with with better defending and keeping. I thought Hoffman and Sarkies were ok in the midfield, but obviously we miss Fred's creativity. I'm not sure Shroj would've made much difference.

It was one of those days. We looked good until the first goal took some of the wind out of us. Then got back into the game (Germano gave us a spark) only to concede through a Bolton error. Bolton's been great this year, but he's had problems in not always being able to collect cleanly in one take, and that was always going to bite us some day.

Still, not winning at home sucks.

This must be the low point of the season so far. I agree with much of what has been written by Murfy1 and Marteaux above. IMO only Behich, Germano and Babalj came out of the match with much credit. The team is flat, ponderous, predictable, and the build-up is oh so slow. Backpass after backpass, until we finally lose possession and then we are under pressure. Also the first touch of midfielders and forwards is backwards more often than forwards, with the result that we just do not create an openening to goal. Contrast Adelaide and Perth, who moved the ball from their area to our area with two quick forward passes. I'm critical of our coaches as well, because they seem to be completely unable to lift the side out of this attitude. Today our midfield was non-existent until Germano came on. At least there was some cohesion between Worm and Behich down the left, but there's precious little down the right, and so we've become completely lopsided in attack. Terra and Maycon contributed zero - every time Maycon is tackled he goes to ground, writhes in agony and thinks he's dying...we'd be better off bring up Billy Liolios and Stipo Andrijasevic from the youth team than this pair. And to name Matt Thompson as 'Man of the Match' - unbelievable. What game were the judges watching? Very depressing day for supporters. If we play like this for the rest of the season we can kiss finals goodbye.

Before everyone starts scapegoating Hoffman, was Perth's midfield on top of ours during the game? I don't think it was. At the end when Germano, Terra and Maycon were on the field, we looked more dangerous up front, but couldn't keep possession of the ball in the middle. Probably because Hoffman and Sarkies were both subbed off. He wasn't the great creative, goal assist midfielder that we're lacking, but I'll defend him today. And I've been a critic.

• Like 1

The buy of Maycon was a waste you can only buy five international players everyone of those players should be starting or there is no point of buying them. losing Fred we lose our structure no one else sets up the play like him. the defense today i thought did well, midfield were not winning the ball enough and the forwards are being closed down to easily and out numbered. babji needs support he has so much talent but he does not work well with to wide wingers, hoffman was playing out of position and was useless. unfortunately for us we need to sign three key players a defender a midfield and a forward. someone who will be composed in front of goal.

Look today I was very disappointed. My biggest problem is that we didn't do the things that had won us games throughout the season, thought Marrone was not used enough, too many long balls and the second biggest problem we didn't put enough balls into the penalty area.

Also recently we have had this tendency to try to walk the ball into the back of the net, would love it if we actually increased our shots at goal, at least put pressure on the Glory.

We now need to pick up the pieces and bring our A game against the Mariners.

Today I thought id do a bit of a mtach report, could be fun?

Yarraside

Not our greatest effort but it was definately better having our full support back. There is a lot of slacking offf, which needs to be stopped, the group at the front is brilliant and never stops, well done.I think one of the greater improvements that was evident today was the amount of different chants. The number has definately increased. Weather was not great, but can not be excused. Well done to ando and the rest of the front men for shutting up the people who were trashing bolton. It was a big mistake, but we did not crack it at him we just sucked it up. Unfortunately some people just couldnt.big effort needed this week.

The game got underway in again blistering conditions at aami park, the troubled heart taking on the in form glory. The heart have found this fixture hard previoulsy and the last time thay met at aami, the heart put on arguably their worst performance of the season. Kristian Sarkies got another start while maycon (break character- I dont know why) was recalled following the injury to fred.The inform eli babalj started up front whith dugangic and worm on the wings. The outhful back four of good, hammil, marrone and Behich was again going to be put to the test.

The game started brightly for the heart, the ball was being distributed nicely to the wings and behich and marrone were getting up the line and supporting. however it was not long before central players sch as babalj and thompson got involved. the glory survived the intial attacks from the heart and in turn created their own and thanks to sume luck,shane smeltz found himself one on one and sent the ball in to the back of the net. From there the games spirt changed, chances came further apart for the heart yet closer and more frequently from the glory,one which saw smeltz miss a sitter to put the glory ahead by two. It was around this time that dugangic began to less of the ball and find himself turning the ball over often, the same could be said to the captain; matt Thomson. It was behich and marrone providing the croses which babalj could not quite get ahold of. close headers and free kicks from srakies almost found the back of the net but the heart found themselvs trailing at half time 1-0

The yarrside supporters watched closely as their heart tried to protect their goals and just pass the ball in the defensive half for the opening minutes of the second half.It was not looking good, countless turnovers and nothing looked good at the attacking end. But yet the heart were thrown a lifeline just as they were the last time they met: a penalty. A surging run from babalj saw himself fouled and the referee (who had an otherwsie shocking performance) pointed to the spot. suddenly the terrace became alive and wre on their seats eagerly awaiting the spot kick, matt thomson the captain, runs in... its saved but fortunately sarkies is on hand to bang it home, two in two weeks and an equaliser. The crowd went wild, and the the terrace became alive, the hearts game lifted with a new energy, for the next two minutes. Bolton made a rare horrible blunder as stephen mcgarry tapped it home and put the glory ahead. After having one of his longer performances, rutger worm came off for alex terra (jvs: play your players in their positions). hoffman came off for germano who had a decent game, and sarkies who I thought was brilliant came on for maycon, it was painful to watch the dying stages as maycons went down after a minute of being on and wated numerous minutes and in the dying stages went down and soaked up all the injury time. (as I said myself) Maycon: you're not supposed to go down when we are losing! A painful end to a game that could have been so much more.

Matt thompson somehow managerd to get man of the match after one of his worst performances this year. mine was definately behich.

Injury report

All of these I spoke to myself:

Wayne shroj: hopes to be back on wednesday if not then saturday

Nick Kalmar: Will be back before the end of the season

Nikola Roganovic: Is actually injured and will be back soon

Fred: back next week or the week after

With injured players back in the squad soon and teams fast on our heels, these next two games are critical. btw do people know we have a shocking home record.

The game against the mariners on wednesday will be a true indication of the team, whatever happens, in whatever way.

True out

F*cking pathetic - one of the worst performances of all year our form is terrible. Today, the players were flat, there was no control, no co-ordination, no communication, constantly missed passes which should not be happening as this is the most vital skill to playing football, making terrible runs ALL DAY, and there is absolutely no confidence from anyone in the side at the moment, need to experiment against CCM as at this rate have next to no chance at beating them, might as well mix things up.

My post may seem to harsh & to early, but I think there needs to be changes & fast, because it doesn't look like we are going to get anything out of games if we keep playing the same.

Yarraside

Not our greatest effort but it was definately better having our full support back. There is a lot of slacking offf, which needs to be stopped, the group at the front is brilliant and never stops, well done.I think one of the greater improvements that was evident today was the amount of different chants. The number has definately increased. Weather was not great, but can not be excused. Well done to ando and the rest of the front men for shutting up the people who were trashing bolton. It was a big mistake, but we did not crack it at him we just sucked it up. Unfortunately some people just couldnt.big effort needed this week.

Don't be too hard on yourselves lads (and lasses). There's not been a lot to cheer about this season - surely we must have just about the worst home record in the league? I for one think you all do a fantastic job week in week out.

another bad day in the active supporter bay, more and more people wanting the chants to be done quicker than what they are currently are, few people smoking. why is it we only did some chants towards the end of the game, marrone and terra songs done in 2nd half only, just because terra wasnt on the field doesnt mean we cant do the chant, its a chant most people like so do it more often, the your a cunt and always will be chant is terrible

another bad day in the active supporter bay, more and more people wanting the chants to be done quicker than what they are currently are, few people smoking. why is it we only did some chants towards the end of the game, marrone and terra songs done in 2nd half only, just because terra wasnt on the field doesnt mean we cant do the chant, its a chant most people like so do it more often, the your a cunt and always will be chant is terrible

yes very tues, chants do need to go for a while. this stuff needs to go on the chants page, serious stuff there