Melbourne Football

Week 15 - Melbourne v Perth Glory - 15 Jan - 4:00PM

bazzatron

-------------------Bolton-------------------

Marrone -- Colosimo -- Hamill -- Behich

---------------- Germano ------------------

------ Sarkies ------------ Thompson ----

Mate ----------- Babalj ------------ Worm

Gotta keep Smeltz off the ball, and not let Sterjovski get too much time. We should win this one comfortably. 3-1.

Edited by forbze

I don't think this is so much the "must win game" people are touting it as. And Shane Smeltz has struggled to fire in front of goal lately, which has led to Billy Mehmet being their go to man, but as far as I know he is still injured.

Perth Glory are in all sorts of odd form at the moment, especially when travelling so going on that, and our recent slump I honestly can't pick a winner for this one.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the Sandgropers robbed all 3 points, once again.

Players need to feed the ball to Babalj at his feet when he's in the penalty box. It doesn't matter which way he's facing he can make something from not much and our defenders need to stay closer to attackers when jocking to stop crosses and shots.

Also drop Williams and put someone on who can chase with fresh legs instead of looking like he has played 90 min when he comes on!

This game is important for all sorts of reasons:

We need to respond after two average performances.

We need to start building some good form at home.

Perth is a team we should beat if we're serious.

We need to collect points before Olyroo games leave us undermanned.

And 3 points will set up the biggest week of the season with games against the two best sides in the comp. A win here and a good performance against CCM should create a huge Saturday night against Brisbane, with more publicity and interest than any other game we've played outside derbies.

Heart 2-0.

Gotta keep Smeltz off the ball, and not let Sterjovski get too much time. We should win this one comfortably. 3-1.

This is the ideal lineup for me too, Shroj off the bench for Sarkies, push Germano up to Sarkies' spot and leave Shroj at holding when he comes on.

Melbourne 2-1

Is Germano right for the match?

Just realised this is the 3rd and list time we play Perth in the home and away fixtures.

So if we do play them again it'd be in around 3 months time... :ph34r:

Anywho, Perth's defense is well shite atm with Coyne, Neville and now Josh Mitchel all out.

Also many players who are playing at under 100% including Coyne and van der Brink.

Edited by Buddy Farah

More worried with our backline coping with Mehmet and to a lesser degree Smeltz. Forbze has the starting line up spot on, if Colosimo can keep things tight at the back, we have a good chance of getting the three points. Back to the issue with Mehmet, his physicality has caused most teams problems this season, as depicted in the recent fixture against Newcastle but with a threadbare Perth defence, we may be in for some goals tomorrow, both ways. It's going to be a tough game nonetheless and we will have to work hard for the three points, the battle in midfield will be where it's going to be won/lost.

Vamos Hearts.

This game is important for all sorts of reasons:

We need to respond after two average performances.

We need to start building some good form at home.

Perth is a team we should beat if we're serious.

We need to collect points before Olyroo games leave us undermanned.

And 3 points will set up the biggest week of the season with games against the two best sides in the comp. A win here and a good performance against CCM should create a huge Saturday night against Brisbane, with more publicity and interest than any other game we've played outside derbies.

Heart 2-0.

These points are exactly why its an important match. Its not must win like the end of last season where the last few games were must win to makes the finals, but its a very important match nonetheless. The season will become much more of an uphill battle if we don't get 3 points here.

I am concerned about our defence, but our back 4 isn't that concerning for me. Our midfield against Gold Coast was dreadful at defending once Fred was out. Maybe Sarkies was subpar with defending due to lack of fitness, but without Fred and a Germano or Shroj our defending really suffers. Especially with 18 and 19 year old centrebacks the chances of them being beaten increases dramatically when our midfield is so porous.

I think we will win probably 2-1. Just need to not concede too much possession to Perth and not gift them with goals like in the first Melbourne vs Perth game of the season.

These points are exactly why its an important match. Its not must win like the end of last season where the last few games were must win to makes the finals, but its a very important match nonetheless. The season will become much more of an uphill battle if we don't get 3 points here.

I am concerned about our defence, but our back 4 isn't that concerning for me. Our midfield against Gold Coast was dreadful at defending once Fred was out. Maybe Sarkies was subpar with defending due to lack of fitness, but without Fred and a Germano or Shroj our defending really suffers. Especially with 18 and 19 year old centrebacks the chances of them being beaten increases dramatically when our midfield is so porous.

I think we will win probably 2-1. Just need to not concede too much possession to Perth and not gift them with goals like in the first Melbourne vs Perth game of the season.

Right...